Agile QA / Test Engineer
At 11:FS we see ourselves as the challenger team dedicated to helping banks and FS players transform themselves and the industry we love. For us this means rethinking what it takes to operate in financial services top to bottom to help our partners build and launch next generation digital propositions around the globe.
To do this we need an amazing team so we have pulled together the best in financial services and beyond. Our people have co-founded and grown challenger banks like Monzo, Starling, and Tandem, led the technology platforms at Nutmeg, Betfair and beyond and transformed banks like Lloyds, Halifax, Barclays, QNB and Natwest.
Truth be told, 11:FS isn't really one company. It is a collection of startups united by purpose. Our Consulting practice builds challenger propositions globally, like we did for Natwest with Mettle. Our Research and Benchmarking team has built the amazing 11:FS Pulse service used by the likes of Monzo, Starling, Natwest and Tesco Bank. Our 11:FS Foundry team are building products that are transforming core banking and architecture, aiming to do to core banking what AWS did to data centres. Lastly we are a media company, generating content that supports our brand and changes the conversation - not necessarily in that order.
We are effectively building and launching new startup propositions for our clients and ourselves. We believe in treating every opportunity like a business, not a project. We believe in treating resources as if they were finite, even when they are plentiful, and our customer's reputation is as important to us as our own.
At 11:FS, we aim to build teams with a singular focus and an execution mindset. To live up to this, we need the best talent in the market. We hire great people and get out of their way. Everyone in our team relentlessly drives towards getting sh!t done and improving the industry we love.
What you'll be doing:
We are looking for a skilled Test and Automation specialist to help build digital banks. We typically build our propositions on cloud using containers. We favour React and React Native for front-end, creating both mobile and web UI, and we build microservices with clean APIs at the back end. We strongly believe that quality is everyone's responsibility, but we also understand that strong QA is a skillset, but more importantly a mindset. We need someone to own and lead testing within a cross-functional team - not to do all the testing, but to ensure appropriate testing is in place, and that our testing provides the most 'bang for buck' - knowing what to test. We’re big believers in autonomous teams and iterative development.
We strongly believe that you grow a system, rather than build it, so our architecture and infrastructure is designed to allow us to roll small bits of code to production really fast. And really often. Releases should be frequent and safe, and that requires a suite of automated tests that test the 'right' areas - we don't like 'test theatre'. At a minimum we want to see that you have experience of working in cloud based, continuous deployment type environments and that you can demonstrate that you understand that with this awesome power comes a lot of responsibility to make sure you are doing things right.
The qualities we want to see:
We’re looking for a very skilled and special technologist to help us build robust and reliable high-quality services. We need a strong but pragmatic QA mindset, someone who is familiar with what a good user story looks like, and can help create appropriate acceptance criteria. Although we don't yet practice BDD, experience with Gherkin/BDD syntax would be valuable.
We don’t want a QA team who tests after the fact. Testing is 'part of the team', not a phase at the end of development. We want test automation to be part of our development lifecycle. We’ve made a good start with unit tests and feature tests, and we’re working on automation on all areas of our software. We know that 'setting up a test framework from scratch' is pretty simple, and we're more interested in how the tests are defined, how they're tuned at different stages in the pipeline. We need a person for whom quality and automation is first priority. We want someone with solid experience working with and building upon industry-standard test automation frameworks.
If you come to work with us, you will:
- Pair with other engineers to create and improve tests.
- Pair with developers and platform engineers and be hands-on yourself in automating and improving the testing capabilities of our system.
- Help us continually improve our test coverage
- Help us make sure we’ve got excellent automated tests across our platform and in our customer integrations
- Help us continually improve our release process
- Work with other engineers to build continuous security testing
Your Technical Skills:
- Experienced in test automation and utilising industry-standard test frameworks
- Focused on accuracy and attention to detail
- Experienced in software development and able to write code to a high standard
- Experience with testing server-side microservices (API testing - ideally GraphQL, but REST also valuable)
- Mobile application testing (Detox framework would be valuable)
- Agile/iterative software development experience
- Team player (the team is bigger than the individual)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment
- Self-starter who knows how to commit and deliver
- Ability to be flexible and pragmatic with technology decisions
- Understanding product-focussed software development i.e. principals such as minimum viable product
- Excellent communication skills
- Taking ownership
- Independence and self-motivation while still being able to work with others collaboratively
- Desire to always improve and learn new things
Why work with us?
- Discretionary bonus - profit share
- Flexible working
- Private medical
- Pension - match up to 4%
- Income protection
- Life assurance
- Enhanced maternity, paternity & adoption leave
- Free eye test and contribution to eye wear for VDU
- Corporate gym membership
- Season ticket loan
- Birthdays off (or your childs if you prefer)
*No agencies please. We will accept unsolicited CVs as free gifts, leaving us liable for no fees whatsoever should we choose to pursue the candidate.* .