Senior Kotlin/Java Engineer
At 11:FS we see ourselves as the challenger team dedicated to helping banks and FS players transform themselves and the industry we love. For us this means rethinking what it takes to operate in financial services top to bottom to help our partners build and launch next generation digital propositions around the globe.
To do this we need an amazing team so we have pulled together the best in financial services and beyond. Our people have co-founded and grown challenger banks like Monzo, Starling, and Tandem, led the technology platforms at Nutmeg, Betfair and beyond and transformed banks like Lloyds, Halifax, Barclays, QNB and Natwest.
Truth be told, 11:FS isn't really one company. It is a collection of startups united by purpose. Our Consulting practice builds challenger propositions globally, like we did for Natwest with Mettle. Our Research and Benchmarking team has built the amazing 11:FS Pulse service used by the likes of Monzo, Starling, Natwest and Tesco Bank. Our 11:FS Foundry team are transforming core banking and architecture, aiming to do to core banking what AWS did to data centres. Lastly we are a media company, generating content that supports our brand and changes the conversation - not necessarily in that order.
Within Consulting Engineering, we work closely with our clients, designing and building customer-focused digital propositions, and bringing them to market quickly to test hypotheses. As an engineer you’ll be part of a cross-functional team, designing and building the technology underpinning these propositions. Well-executed technology is key to presenting a fantastic user experience, and you’ll often be building green-field services. You’ll have significant input into both the technology we use, and how we employ it. We emphasise ‘applied engineering’, and we never focus on technology for its own sake. You’ll have the opportunity to learn and use cutting-edge tools and components where appropriate. We also make significant use of third parties to move fast, and often need to integrate with our clients’ systems, so we value creativity and pragmatism, too.
What you'll be doing
We are looking for Senior Kotlin/Java engineers to work on one of our software delivery projects. You will be working with our existing engineering and architecture team on a new customer project, working to integrate their backend services with new capabilities and supporting a new mobile app.
Your focus will be on server-side engineering, designing and building performant cloud-native microservices with clean APIs, most likely on one of our client engagements. We encourage ownership, and we’ll also expect you to develop ‘T-shaped’ skills, working with your team to what’s needed to deliver to the client. We don’t like organisational silos, and you’ll be working closely with product, designers and other experts in their fields. You may also need to perform rapid prototyping, ‘spiking out’ quick and dirty software in order to demonstrate a concept before turning it into something more ‘production-like’. You should also understand good software component design, and be able to identify where we can create reusable ‘building blocks’ to accelerate our engagements.
We’re believers in autonomous teams and iterative development. We’re crazy about continuous improvement and knowledge sharing, and we want people who share our enthusiasm. We know that building high performance, highly scalable, always available, fault tolerant systems is a team game and so we want to know that you play well with others. Lone geniuses are brilliant - just not for us.
We are, of course, highly client-focused. We partner closely with our clients and stakeholders, so while you won’t be expected ‘carry’ client meetings, you’ll need to be comfortable talking to clients (often not technical), demoing features and services, and working in an agile and iterative fashion. We believe that you grow a system, rather than build it, so our architecture and infrastructure is designed to allow us to roll small bits of code to production quickly, and really often. At a minimum we want to see that you have experience of working in cloud-based, highly-automated deployment environments and that you can demonstrate that you understand that with this awesome power comes a lot of responsibility.
Your Technical Skills:
- You have been building services and applications at a senior level on the JVM - likely as a Java developer, and exploring Kotlin more recently.
- You’re familiar with microservice architectures, and you’ve built and deployed containerised services to Cloud-based orchestration layers and platforms.
- You’re familiar with the Spring framework.
- You’re familiar with TDD, you know what a good unit test looks like, and you can write tests across the test pyramid
- You’ve used GraphQL to implement well-designed APIs, and you also know what a good RESTful API looks like
- Applying cyber security best practices
- You work agile and iterative, in a way that works for you and your team. You are adept at slicing your work to deliver small and often
- You’re a team player, able to function as part of a team of talented senior people, and lead when appropriate.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment
- You’re a self-starter who knows how to commit and deliver
- You can be flexible and pragmatic with technology decisions, making appropriate tradeoffs to deliver.
- You’re aware of the bigger picture, continuously thinking holistically about what the team is delivering, and how it can be improved.
- You are personable, and have excellent communication skills
- We value strong views, loosely held, so you’ll be passionate in your opinion, but okay to relinquish or modify it.
- You have a desire to always improve and learn new things
Why work with us?
You'll be joining us to work with one of THE BEST teams in financial services, we have an outstanding team of company leaders, project leaders and subject matter of experts in every part of the business.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Discretionary bonus
- Private Medical Insurance
- Discounted gym membership
- Flexible working
- Pension - match up to 4%
- Income protection
- Life insurance
- Enhanced maternity, paternity & adoption leave
- Free eye test and contribution to eye wear for VDU
- Season ticket loan
- Birthday off (or your child’s if you prefer)
*No agencies please. We will accept unsolicited CVs as free gifts, leaving us liable for no fees whatsoever should we choose to pursue the candidate.*