Automation Test Engineer
At 11:FS we see ourselves as the challenger team dedicated to helping banks and FS players transform themselves and the industry we love. For us this means rethinking what it takes to operate in financial services top to bottom to help our partners build and launch next generation digital propositions around the globe.
To do this we need an amazing team so we have pulled together the best in financial services and beyond. Our people have co-founded and grown challenger banks like Monzo, Starling, and Tandem, led the technology platforms at Nutmeg, Betfair and beyond and transformed banks like Lloyds, Halifax, Barclays, QNB and Natwest.
Truth be told, 11:FS isn't really one company. It is a collection of startups united by purpose. Our Consulting practice builds challenger propositions globally, like we did for Natwest with Mettle. Our Research and Benchmarking team has built the amazing 11:FS Pulse service used by the likes of Monzo, Starling, Natwest and Tesco Bank. Our 11:FS Foundry team are building products that are transforming core banking and architecture, aiming to do to core banking what AWS did to data centres. Lastly we are a media company, generating content that supports our brand and changes the conversation - not necessarily in that order.
We are effectively building and launching new startup propositions for our clients and ourselves. We believe in treating every opportunity like a business, not a project. We believe in treating resources as if they were finite, even when they are plentiful, and our customer's reputation is as important to us as our own.
At 11:FS, we aim to build teams with a singular focus and an execution mindset. To live up to this, we need the best talent in the market. We hire great people and get out of their way. Everyone in our team relentlessly drives towards getting sh!t done and improving the industry we love.
What you'll be doing:
We are looking for a skilled Test Automation Engineer to help build Foundry, our ledger-first flexible core banking platform. It’s the engine behind some exciting new bank builds, with many more to come. Working on Foundry, you’ll be responsible for designing and building new capabilities. Foundry is still a relatively new platform, and there’s a lot to do, and many interesting problems to solve.
At Foundry we use the Event Sourcing and CQRS architecture patterns, with Kafka as our event store, so experience with those patterns is a big plus. We’re big believers in autonomous teams and iterative development. We’re crazy about continuous improvement and knowledge sharing, and we want people who share our enthusiasm.
We know that building high performance, highly scalable, always available, fault tolerant systems is a team game and so we want to know that you play well with others. Lone geniuses are not for us.
We strongly believe that you grow a system, rather than build it, so our architecture and infrastructure is designed to allow us to roll small bits of code to production really fast. And really often. At a minimum we want to see that you have experience of working in cloud based, continuous deployment type environments and that you can demonstrate that you understand that with this awesome power comes a lot of responsibility to make sure you are doing things right. We are mainly interested in making sure you have the right behaviours by default but we would also love to see you have good experience of using schedulers like Kubernetes, Mesos/Marathon.
The qualities we want to see:
We’re looking for a very skilled and special technologist to help us improve our end-to-end test coverage, and help us build test automation across our customer integrations.
We don’t want a QA team who tests after the fact. We want test automation to be part of our development lifecycle. We’ve made a good start with unit tests and feature tests, and we’re working on automation on all areas of our software.
However, we need someone to take us to the next level; a person for whom quality and automation is first priority. We want someone with solid experience working with and building upon industry-standard test automation frameworks.
If you come to work with us, you will:
- Pair with other engineers to create and improve tests.
- Pair with developers and platform engineers and be hands-on yourself in automating and improving the testing capabilities of our system.
- Help us continually improve our test coverage
- Help us make sure we’ve got excellent automated tests across our platform and in our customer integrations
- Help us continually improve our release process
- Lead break-out “chaos teams” to help break our systems before black hats get a chance
- Work with other engineers to build continuous security testing
Your Technical Skills:
- Experienced in test automation and utilising industry-standard test frameworks
- Focused on accuracy and attention to detail
- Experienced in software development and able to write code to a high standard
- Agile/iterative software development experience
- Team player (the team is bigger than the individual)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment
- Self-starter who knows how to commit and deliver
- Ability to be flexible and pragmatic with technology decisions
- Understanding product-focussed software development i.e. principals such as minimum viable product
- Excellent communication skills
- Taking ownership
- Independence and self-motivation while still being able to work with others collaboratively
- Desire to always improve and learn new things
Why work with us?
11:FS is just 3 years old and whilst we are a startup, we don't behave like one at times. So think flexible working and competitive salary. Working with us you will get the chance to build out a software platform that will revolutionise financial services, as well as becoming part of a team that genuinely wants to make a difference.
We believe in investing in our people, so if you join us you’ll have a conference budget, regular knowledge sharing sessions, and the opportunity to learn from some of the best engineers around. We’re still a young company but we’re working hard on our performance and progression frameworks so you’ll know where you stand and how you can improve and progress within the company.
*No agencies please. We will accept unsolicited CVs as free gifts, leaving us liable for no fees whatsoever should we choose to pursue the candidate.*